We Were Liars No Spoiler Book Review

by - Thursday, July 07, 2016

We Were Liars No Spoiler Book Review | empoweredinternetwomen

We were liars written by E.Lockhart is a book that has been recommended to me on many occasions yet I've never wanted to read it until I finally caved after seeing Zoe Sugg's book recommendations video.


About the book.

    Book: We Were Liars
    Author: E. Lockhart
    Pages: 242
    Publisher: Delacorte Press
    Rating: 
    Synopsis: A beautiful and distinguished family.
    A private island.
    A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
    A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns         destructive.
    A revolution. An accident. A secret.
    Lies upon lies.
    True love.
    The truth.
    
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Mystery
    Age Group: Young Adult novel however can be read by anyone 12+

We Were Liars No Spoiler Book Review | empoweredinternetwomen

My thoughts. 

Let's just talk about the book it's self before we talk about the plot and characters. I usually tend not to comment on the cover but I felt this one particularly suited the book. The way the images are blurred out so it's hard to see the people adds to the aura of mystery. The font of the title is also very appropriate. At the very start of the book, we get a map of the private island and the Sinclair family tree. The book itself is also quite easy to read, being fairly short. 

So as mentioned previously, I put off reading this book. I always choose a book based on the synopsis and I found for this book, instead of coming off as mysterious, it came off as vague and I wasn't very interested in reading it. However, after the recommendations from friends, people on the Internet and other authors who wrote testimonials on the book itself (John Green and Scott Westerfield) I decided to give it a go. 

We Were Liars is well written, suspenseful story that focuses on the privileged Sinclair family, specifically during their summer holidays when they go to their private island. It is told from the point of view of Candence Sinclair Easton. It had three other characters, Johnny, Gat and Mirren and these four formed the Liars. All the characters are quite layered and complex. They appear to be one thing but as the story progresses, we find there is another side to them that we hadn't seen before. 

I recommend this book to those who enjoy mystery, suspense and a book where it's impossible to guess the ending. We Were Liars is a nice read and I found myself holding my breath towards the last part. 

However, I will say it isn't as amazing as I expected it to be after hearing such positive testimonials from accredited authors. It could be because I have read similar books in the past and I wasn't as surprised or shocked. 

Nonetheless, do read it. Hopefully you will be more shocked or surprised than me, having not read anything similar in the past. 

You May Also Like

0 happy thoughts