Throne Of Glass Series Discussion

by - Sunday, September 04, 2016

Throne Of Glass Series Discussion | sprinkledpages

I've been meaning to do discussion posts on my blog for a really long time now. They're basically unstructured posts (because if you've seen my book reviews, you'll know I take structure seriously) where I chat about books but including spoilers and everything and is aimed at those who have already read the book.

So on that note, if you haven't read the Throne Of Glass series (Throne Of Glass, Crown Of Midnight, Heir Of Fire and Queen Of Shadows), do not read this review because it will contain spoilers! However, I have done spoiler free book reviews which you can check out to read my thoughts on the book!

Related: Throne Of Glass, Crown Of Midnight, Heir Of Fire and Queen Of Shadows Book Reviews

I have been wanting to do a discussion on Throne Of Glass specifically because I have so many thoughts to share on the series and since I wasn't able to share them in my spoiler free reviews, I'd have to do it here! This is also a way to celebrate the upcoming release of Empire Of Storms, the fifth book in the series!

Anyway since this has been such a huge intro, let's begin!


THRONE OF GLASS: BOOK 1





So, it's a well known fact that the Throne Of Glass series is immensely popular, especially with book bloggers and book youtubers because a lot of people seem to love the series. Whether it's the characters or the plot or the ideas, very few people have bad things to say about Throne Of Glass.

Which is exactly what made me pick it up in the first place! I'd heard such lovely things about the series and I had been really excited to start it. And then disappointed.

I didn't like the first book, Throne Of Glass. But before you start cursing me to hell, let me just say that while I didn't like the first book and didn't love the fourth book, I loved the other two and hope to love the latest one that is about to be released, which is Empire Of Storms.

In my book review for it, I did discuss why in detail but I had to gloss over some facts just to avoid spoilers. But here, I can let it all out. Celaena's character was so overdone. She was not only beautiful and deadly, but also smart, funny, could play the pinafore and had multiple other talents.

I felt she was created as one of those cliche characters the male characters in the book fell in love with because she wasn't like the other simpering females that also happened to be in the book (which really annoys me because honestly, what's wrong with normal girls?). Her past was also quite overdone and cliche, at least in the first book. Her personality bored me to tears and I absolutely despised her as a character.

The entire time she was with Dorian, I was screaming at her mentally to be with Chaol instead because Chaol seemed like the better choice. (You should know that I am such a big Chaol fan and he is such a gem!)

Please do note, however, that I no longer feel this way having read the other books and this is my personal opinion and as a book reviewer, it is my job to be honest.

CROWN OF MIDNIGHT: BOOK 2




This is, by far, my favourite book out of the published four. It was so enjoyable and action packed and kick ass!

Also, I loved it because Celaena and Chaol had so many cute moments and I was so happy when she and Dorian decided to end things. Celaena and Chaol, in my opinion, are so good together. I loved how they understood each other and brought out the best in one another.

I sometimes quite dislike how Maas adds plot twists that just change the entire narrative like with Nehemia dying and Chaol not telling Celaena that he knew what the king had planed. It feels quite out of character and forced, just for the sake of adding plot twists and OMG moments.

I was very, very saddened when Chaol and Celaena broke up and the entire series, I was rooting for him because I feel he and Celaena were really good together.

One thing I did love about the book is how it started at one place and became something else entirely. At the beginning, Celaena is an assasin but by the end of the book, she's a queen and Fae warrior. I love how it didn't have boundaries and really thought out of the box.

The end where it was revealed Celaena was actually fae had me like :O because I was not at all expecting that plot twist. I was beyond shocked and surprised but I felt things began to click a little better.

HEIR OF FIRE: BOOK 3




Heir Of Fire was another one of the books I loved. I felt this had the most character development as Celaena transforms from assassin to Fae queen. This was also a bigger journey for her emotionally as she recovers from Nehemia's death and Chaol's betrayal.

A lot of new characters were introduced in this book and I felt it move quite far from the first and second book as it became more about queens. the fae, magic, power and family.

I quite liked Rowan and Celaena's friendship in the book because it was easy to see how close and connected they were, like ying and yang. I loved the way they helped each other recover from the past and how their friendship blossomed over the months.

I also loved Sorscha because I was happy Dorian had found someone, especially after seeing how good they were together. It was sad, however, to see Chaol and Dorian grow apart.

Manon is another character I didn't like at first because of how callous she is but I love the bond she has with Abraxos. I also feel she is going to be a huge character in the upcoming books.

Aedion is someone we see rarely of in the third book and I didn't really like him too much. He seemed quite dry and if I'm being honest, I found his devotion to Celanea a little annoying. Aedion hadn't even seen her in the past eighteen or nineteen years, yet he was so devoted to her and I know some may argue that it was loyalty but to me, it was quite illogical and unrealistic.

I was quite sad for Chaol in this book because he had begun to sink. Celanea was gone, Dorian was no longer his friend, he couldn't find solace in his work, he had to go back to his father's estate and Aedion wasn't very good of a friend.

Another thing I have to comment on is the name change?? That really, really confused me. I understand the significance of the name change but it got quite confusing how everyone suddenly decided to call her Aelin as she became 'the queen'.

However, I like Celaena better and for the purpose of this discussion, we'll just talk about her as Celaena.


QUEEN OF SHADOW: BOOK FOUR 




I didn't love this book too much at the beginning. I began to hate Celaena for her pompous attitude and the way she just strolled back into Adarlan to exact her vengence. AND THE WAY SHE TREATED CHAOL! That is what annoyed me endlessly!

I hated the way she looked down on him all the time. He made a mistake. She's made plenty of mistakes before so I didn't get why she had the right to be so judgemental and grudgy. And the way Aedion and Rowan treated him too!

UGH!

That is the single most thing that annoyed me too and made me bristle everytime they had an interaction. I was so saddened to see Chaol all isolated and desolete. But this is my personal opinion because I really loved Chaol as a character.

I didn't much like the hostility between Aedion and Rowan either and the fact that Celaena didn't do anything to stop them arguing.

Okay, mini rant done! The second half of the book turned things around and I began to accept Rowan as Celaena's new guy. Esepcially after Celaena and Chaol made up. It made me feel a little more relaxed to know that they were on good terms again!

I liked how the entire gang came together and beat the king and took back Adarlan. I also liked Manon's involvement in the book and how she stood up to her grandmother and how she and Celaena sort of respect *cough* like *cough* each other.

The way QoS ended was pretty good for me and has me excited for Empire Of Storms.

FINALLY...

I know some people adore, adore, adore this series and while I quite enjoy it and am pumped for the next book, it's not my favourite. (I much rather like Maas's other series, A Court Of Thorns And Roses). However, it's a great series for the unexpected twists and turns and the characters are quite enjoyable to read!

What are your thoughts on ToG? Do you love it? Do you hate it? Do you think it's okay? Let me know in the comments!

You May Also Like

0 happy thoughts

Leave me a comment below! And feel free to leave your website URL so I can come visit!