My Lady Jane No Spoiler Book Review

by - Monday, January 16, 2017

My Lady Jane No Spoiler Book Review | sprinkledpages

Today I am going to be reviewing the extremely popular and highly acclaimed My Lady Jane! 

Just a little context on this book. It is a historical fiction book that is more fiction than historical. It is based on Lady Jane Grey who was the Queen of England for 9 days before it was 'off with her head'. Except the authors decided to change up history a little and give her a happy ending! 

Also, can we talk about how beautiful the covers of the hardback and paperback are? Pictured above is the hardback which I borrowed off a friend for a quick photo and the paperback is the one I actually own! They are both super pretty and the designers deserve a real pat on the back.

About the book. 

Book: My Lady Jane
Author: Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton and Jodi Meadows
Pages: 491
Publisher: Walker Books
Synopsis: The comical, fantastical, romantical, (not) entirely true story of Lady Jane Grey. In My Lady Jane, coauthors Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, and Jodi Meadows have created a one-of-a-kind fantasy in the tradition of The Princess Bride, featuring a reluctant king, an even more reluctant queen, a noble steed, and only a passing resemblance to actual history—because sometimes history needs a little help.

At sixteen, Lady Jane Grey is about to be married off to a stranger and caught up in a conspiracy to rob her cousin, King Edward, of his throne. But those trifling problems aren’t for Jane to worry about. Jane is about to become the Queen of England. (source)
Genre: Young Adult, Historical Fiction, Romance
Recommended for: Anyone 14+.

Thank you to Walker Books who provided me with a review copy however all thoughts and opinions are my own and this is an honest review.

My thoughts.

{  WRITING }


I had originally gone into this book hearing it was absolutely hilarious and I found it actually wasn't that funny for me. I did really enjoy it but there were only few moments I found funny and even during those I was only smiling and not actually laughing. 

However, in saying that, I highly commend the authors for managing to balance their own writing style and mix and match it so well with the writing style of the two others. It must have been no easy feat writing with two other people and these three authors do it effortlessly and seamlessly. 

This story is told in three points of view, Jane, Edward and Gifford and I am assuming that each one of the authors wrote each person's point of views yet it flows together so beautifully that I AM IN AWE....!!!!!


{ IDEA + PLOT }

I thought the idea was really, really cool! It is so unique and quirky and unlike anything I've ever read! I liked how authentic and unauthentic the book was at the same time where it was well researched even if it didn't use the research. I liked how My Lady Jane was a blend of old fashioned lifestyles but a modern outlook and headstrong, weird characters that just made the best book.

As an animal lover, I adored the edions in this book, even if they were a little out of the blue! It was an odd idea but it totally worked and added so much humour and warmth to the story!
I feel the plot let me down a little. There wasn't much going on and it progressed quite slowly. I don't have a lot to say about the plot because that will be spoilery so I'll just leave it at this. 

My Lady Jane No Spoiler Book Review | sprinkledpages

{ CHARACTERS }

AHA MY FAVOURITE PART! I really adored the characters in this book! They were so fun and quirky and I just wanted to give them all a huge hug! 

Jane is so sassy and stubborn and A BOOK LOVER! I love when the main character in a book is a fan of books because in my head, i'm always screaming 'I RELATE TO THIS'. I loved how her character changed and developed even though she stayed true to herself at the same time. She was so unconventional for a lady of her time and I loved how rebellious she was. 

Aha, Gifford (oh for the love of heavens, call me G). He also comes in first place as my favourite characters. I loved what a kind, caring, soft hearted person he was. Although he too could be stubborn, he was such a sweet heart and I totally loved him! 

And last but not least Edward, another great character. He was funny and so un-kingly and loveable! 

Basically all the characters in this book are amazing, even the side characters, who don't even feel like side characters because they are so well fleshed out and realistic. They didn't feel minor at all and I loved seeing everyone come together at the end! 

And of course, we have to talk about the romance! The romance in this book is AMAZING! It is so far from insta-love and so well developed and based on actual liking of one another's personality and characteristics rather than simply just falling for a face. Jane and Gifford are just SO ADORABLE!

{ FINALLY... }

I know by now you will have scrolled down to see the rating and you're probably wondering why I couldn't give this book a higher rating. And I really wanted to love this even more but I felt quite let down at the end after having my expectations raised so high previously. 

However, you must read this unique and quirky book because it is super enjoyable!

Have you read this book? What did you think?

OVERALL RATING:

 ½

You May Also Like

7 happy thoughts

  1. I bought this book when it first came out, but I haven't read it yet! I've seen a lot of people either loving this book or hating it, but not too many "in between" reviews. I love the whole idea that the characters in this book are fun and quirky - I really love when characters are unique and have a fun twist, because it makes them so much more memorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like humour, you'll really enjoy this and even though I didn't love it, I'd still say pick it up because it was quite funny! Thanks for reading and commenting Kelly!

      Delete
  2. i haven't read this book but i've been meaning to for a while. i'm glad you loved the characters. if i ever get around to reading this book, i'll probably get overly attached to the characters. (which always happens haha).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feel you Chelsea! I always imagine my characters as real people and then when the book ends I feel so sad that I gotta leave them to their own devices! Thanks for reading and commenting <3

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed this one and found it funny, though maybe not quite as funny as some of the other reviewers did. I liked all the horse jokes. lol The characters really were the best part though, I agree. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES I love the characters so much! Thanks for reading and commenting Sara!

      Delete
  4. Its Good blog I am feeling after reading this blog. I am offering Laptop Repair Brand Introduction just visit BS System Solutions

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment below! And feel free to leave your website URL so I can come visit!