9 Cute Contemporaries Everyone Should Read

by - Saturday, February 18, 2017

9 Cute Contemporaries Everyone Should Read | sprinkledpages

Hey lovelies! 

Today I thought I'd share with you some of my favourite contemporaries! I am a huge fan of contemporaries but lately, haven't been reading them as much! But I thought I'd share with you a few that I have read over the past few years and enjoyed! 

Also, this was originally supposed to be a Valentine's Day contemporary reads post but in usual fashion, I didn't plan it correctly and then didn't end up posting it! #oops

I'm going to keep the intro brief because this post is going to be quite long!

These are in no particular order.

A QUIET KIND OF THUNDER by Sara Barnard

So I wanted to start off with one of my most recently read and absolute favourite ones! I loved loved loved this book for how realistic the romance was, what great representation it had (from what I know!) and how much it changed and taught me.

This book is about a selectively mute girl and a deaf boy and it focuses on their romance and their life struggles – including things like communicating with each other, fitting in with others, figuring out what to do after school, dealing with parents etc.

It was so raw and well written and absolutely amazing and moving. Safe to say it zoomed up to the very top on my favourites list <3 o:p="">



EVERYTHING EVERYTHING by Nicola Yoon

This was such a cute, unexpected and loveable book! I loved Maddy and Olly because they were both such enjoyable protagonists. As a reader, you could sense their chemistry and how good they were together but instead of making it too intense, Yoon kept it light hearted with funny conversations and enjoyable quips happening between the two!

EE is about a girl who is allergic to the world and has spent 17 years of her life locked inside her house and until a boy moves in next door called Olly. And Olly is very determined to get Maddy out of the house.

I am aware this has some major representation issues and I am in no way saying this book is perfect. The ableism in this book is not okay and it definitely needs some work so if you do read this, please keep this in mind! And if you are a blogger yourself and are reviewing it, please mention this problematic aspect in your review!

For more, check out my spoiler free review on it! 


FANGIRL by Rainbow Rowell

Rowell is one of my favourite authors because she is such an awesome contemporary writer! Her books are super realistic and enjoyable and her characters are very three dimensional and relatable and that’s pretty much how I felt about this one too!

Cath has never really been apart from her twin sister Wren but when they go to college, Wren decides she wants to separate from Cath to find her way on her own and suddenly Cath finds herself alone for the first time in her life.

More than the romance (even though Levi is great, don’t get me wrong!), I loved the love between the sisters and the love Cath had for her father. The focus on something other than romance added layers to the book and made it all the more enjoyable.

But the romance is pretty darn good because Levi is the cutest, sweetest cinnamon roll in the world!

9 Cute Contemporaries Everyone Should Read | sprinkledpages

FINDING AUDREY by Sophie Kinsella

I read this one a while ago and really enjoyed it. It’s short, cute, fluffy and light hearted but also has a deeper message.

Audrey suffers from anxiety to the point where she doesn’t go to school anymore and wears dark glasses inside. That is, until her brother’s friend Linus comes into her life. The two instantly connect and she is able to confide her deepest and darkest fears in him and that, ladies and gentlemen is just the beginning.

Kinsella’s unique writing style, Audrey’s loveable personality and the book’s witty and adorable prose was just too much for my poor little heart to handle. If you haven’t read this, I highly suggest getting onto it!


TO ALL THE BOYS I’VE LOVED BEFORE by Jenny Han

Even though I read three years ago, I am counting it on my list because this is the perfect contemporary book to read. It’s filled with love, not just romantic love as the title suggests but also familial and sisterly love.

Lara Jean is an ordinary girl that, like other ordinary girls falls in and out of love. But unlike others, she writers letters to ‘all the boys she’s loved before’ and keeps them in her teal hatbox. Until one day when all her letters get mailed out…

I loved the sisterly love in this book especially. It was a really refreshing read, especially since I could see myself a lot in Lara Jean as I too, am quite a homey person who would rather bake and read and hang out with my family then go out all the time!


ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS by Stephanie Perkins

This is another book I read around three years ago that I am in desperate need of re-reading soon! However when I read it, I remember liking it quite a lot because it was such a perfectly fluffy and enjoyable contemporary!

Anna is sent off to Paris and while she is initially quite bummed about it, seeing she had the perfect life back home in Atlanta, she gets over it quickly when she meets Étienne. The only problem is, he has a girlfriend.

I really, really need to do a re-read of this soon and fingers crossed I can soon! I hope when I do get to read it again it is just as good as I remember!


HELLO, I LOVE YOU by Katie M. Stout

This is a book I read on e-book about 2 years ago and loved it instantly. It was unlike anything I’ve ever read before, having not had much exposure to k-pop in books. It was well written, very cute and had me on the edge of my seat waiting and wanting more!

Grace has escaped from her life in America and gone to the furthest place she could think of – Korea – for a fresh start and wants nothing more to do with music after leaving her famous producer of a father behind, she is surprised to find her roommate’s brother is a rising k-pop singer. Grace finds herself thrust back into the spotlight and has to figure out if that is truly what she wants.

Other than being a great diverse read, this book was well written and simple to read. Ever since I read it two years ago, I have been back a countless number of times to re-read my favourite sections because I couldn’t get over how awesome it was!

9 Cute Contemporaries Everyone Should Read | sprinkledpages


SINCE YOU’VE BEEN GONE by Morgan Matson

The main reason I included this book is because of the amazing friendship there is in this book! Emily and Sloane were the perfect best friends and I loved seeing their close, pure and completely raw friendship.

Emily’s best friend Sloane goes missing but she leaves behind 13 tasks for Emily to complete. Thinking that completing these tasks would lead her to Sloane, Emily takes them on only to discover so much more than she originally bargained for.

The fun writing style coupled with the serious summer vibes just reminds me of what a perfect read contemp read this is!



ARISTOTLE AND DANTE DISCOVER THE SECRETS OF THE UNIVERSE by Benjamin Alire Sàenz

What an adorable book! I loved how this dealt with so much more than just romance. It had such important issues and much needed diversity included. It’s a heart-warming coming of age story that will leave you wanting more even after you finish the final page.

Aristotle and Dante are two loners who are struggling with their own problems. But when they meet each other, they discover they have a special friendship that changes lives and lasts a lifetime. And through this friendship, Ari and Dante will learn truths about themselves and the people they want to be.

This was such an insanely beautiful book that was well written and articulated, the characters were so loveable and lifelike. It appealed to everyone, even those that were not going through the same things as these boys and I cannot encourage you enough to read this book if you haven’t!


That is it for my contemporary recommendations! These are so cute and enjoyable and must reads! Some of these are a bit heavier than the others but they all leave you with the happy, light feeling at the end!


Have you read any of these? What did you think? And if not, are any of these on your TBR?

You May Also Like

24 happy thoughts

  1. Aww I love contemporary so I really love this post! <3 AQKOT came in the mail last week and I am so excited to read it! I've heard a lot of good things and it sounds like something I would love. also yes to To All the Boys I've Loved Before (loved this series so much), Anna and the French Kiss, and Aristotle and Dante! Such heartwarming books <3 Fangirl has been on my TBR for YEARS and I'm not even sure anymore if I will ever read it hahaha ���� more cute contemporaries I love : Everything Leads to You - Nina LaCour, Simon VS the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertali, Tell Me Three Things by Julie Buxbaum, and almost all books by Kasie West :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG YAY I CANT WAIT TO HEAR YOUR THOUGHTS ON AQKOT! AND YOU HAVE TO READ FANGIRL IT IS THE MOST AMAZING BOOK EVER! Oooh I love Simon VS too and I haven't read the others but they are on my TBR so hopefully I will soon!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for these! Will have to give them a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  3. Ahh so many great recs here! I really loved Anna and the French Kiss, To All the Boys, and Ari and Dante. They're all so lovely, but Ari and Dante has special place because it went deeper to explore cultural and sexual aspect from coming of age. Can't wait to check out other books on your list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAAASS I CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR WHAT YOU THINK OF THE OTHERS! And Ari And Dante is amazing! I can't wait for his other book too!

      Delete
  4. I have read 6 of these. I was very disappointed that I could not find AQKOT in ebook format, because it sounds wonderful. Aristotle and Hello are both on my TBR. Great list! You named a few a my favorites too. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG YOU MUST READ AQKOT IT IS MY ABSOLUTE FAV!!! I hope whenever you get around to reading it you enjoy!

      Delete
  5. Somehow, Everything Everything is the only book on this list that I've actually read. I really did love that one though, and I also enjoyed The Sun is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon, too. You added a good deal of books to this list that I'm going to have to check out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THE SUN IS ALSO A STAR IS ONE OF MY ALL TIME FAVS OMG!!!

      Delete
  6. Omg, I absolutely adore Ari and Dante!!! And I can't wait for their sequel coming up next year. :') :') That book made me cry multiple times oml. I also really enjoyed Everything, Everything and Fangirl as well on this list. Anna and the French Kiss wasn't really my kind of book though (the main character was just too annoying for me). A Quiet Kind of Thunder sounds really good though! Thanks for the awesome recs. :D

    - Aila @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG ALIA YOU MUST READ A QUIET KIND OF THUNDER! IT'S ONE OF MY ABSOLUTE FAVS!!!

      Delete
  7. Ahhhh, so many great books! I have to read A Quiet Kind Of Thunder asap. I've had Finding Audrey on my TBR for so long but this has convinced I need to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FINDING AUDREY IS SO CUTE YOU MUST! ALSO PLS READ ATKOT IT'S SO AMAZING!!!

      Delete
  8. Ooh I recently read and loved Aristotle and Dante!!! I'm really hoping to read To All The Boys I've Loved Before this year!!

    ~Karina @ A Reader Under The Sea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you should tots read it before the final book comes out!

      Delete
  9. I adored both Anna and the French Kiss and A quiet kind of thunder. Otherwise I don't read a lot of contemporaries (more a fantasy girl myself) but I also like Clare Furniss' books, The Year of the Rat and How not to disappear. Nice list though - thanks for sharing. Hopefully one day soon I will finally pick up something by Rainbow Rowell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh I haven't heard of her but Ii will have to check her out for sure! Also RAINBOW ROWELL IS QUEEN OF CONTEMP YOU HAVE TO READ HER BOOKS!

      Delete
  10. Ah, amazing post! I love cute contemporaries, so this list is pretty much perfect! I read (and loved) most of them, except for Hello, I Love You, which I've immediately added to my TBR because it sounds adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello I Love You is ADORBS! I hope you enjoy!

      Delete
  11. A Quiet Kind of Thunder was so good, it so deserved a spot on this list! Ari and Dante is also one I'd recommend to others, though personally I wasn't a huge fan of the writing.

    Unfortunately I did NOT like Hello, I Love You, haha. Though I really love the premise (I love k-dramas and would devour anything referencing it, tbh) I found Grace very infuriating and ignorant and Jason very hot and cold. It was definitely a simple book, though. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha I actually totally see what you mean with Grace and Jason! Thanks for reading and commenting Reg!

      Delete
  12. Great list! It doesn't happen very often that I've read the majority of the books on someone's list :D I love a good contemporary from now and then and read A Quiet Kind of Thunder last week. It was really cute. On my TBR is To All The Boys I've Loved Before! Are you into Kasie West novels too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you Inge! And I have not actually read anything Kasie West yet even though I really really want to! I am super excited to soon though so fingers crossed I enjoy it

      Delete

Leave me a comment below! And feel free to leave your website URL so I can come visit!