Why Wintersong Is One Of The Best Debuts Ever

by - Saturday, February 25, 2017

Wintersong Book Review | sprinkledpages


Drum roll please…today I bring to you, one of the best YA 2017 debuts of all time…Wintersong by S. Jae-Jones!

Going into this, I had heard some fairly positive things from other reviewers and it was on quite a few ‘most anticipated 2017 releases’ lists but I had no idea that I would love this book THIS much!

I’ve decided to change up the format of my reviews for a little more fun and because I think this would be a much better way of reviewing this book!

Fans of Laybrinth (the movie!) and The Star Touched Queen by Roshani Chokshi would absolutely love this!


About the book. 

Book: Wintersong
Author: S Jae-Jones
Pages: 436
Publisher: St Martin's Press
Synopsis: All her life, nineteen-year-old Liesl has heard tales of the beautiful, mysterious Goblin King. He is the Lord of Mischief, the Ruler Underground, and the muse around which her music is composed. Yet, as Liesl helps shoulder the burden of running her family’s inn, her dreams of composition and childish fancies about the Goblin King must be set aside in favor of more practical concerns.

But when her sister Käthe is taken by the goblins, Liesl journeys to their realm to rescue her sister and return her to the world above. The Goblin King agrees to let Käthe go—for a price. The life of a maiden must be given to the land, in accordance with the old laws. A life for a life, he says. Without sacrifice, nothing good can grow. Without death, there can be no rebirth. In exchange for her sister’s freedom, Liesl offers her hand in marriage to the Goblin King. He accepts.

Down in the Underground, Liesl discovers that the Goblin King still inspires her—musically, physically, emotionally. Yet even as her talent blossoms, Liesl’s life is slowly fading away, the price she paid for becoming the Goblin King’s bride. As the two of them grow closer, they must learn just what it is they are each willing to sacrifice: her life, her music, or the end of the world. (source)
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Romance
Recommended for: Anyone 15+.

I received a review copy via NetGalley and all thoughts and opinions are my own and this is an honest review.

Wintersong Book Review | sprinkledpages

WHAT I LIKED:
  • THE BEAUTIFUL WRITING. Cue my screams. Hahaha, kidding but I cannot get over how beautiful the writing of this book is. It is incredibly poetic, lyrical and beautiful. It reminded me so much of The Star Touched Queen with the stunning prose and I fell in love with it
  • The folklore vibes. I am such a sucker for a good retelling that uses old folklore and culture to create a new and vivid world and that is exactly what Jae-Jones did! It was beautiful and unique and so mystical and otherworldly…which brings me to my next point
  • THIS BOOK IS SO OTHERWORLDLY IT’S INSANE! I could not get over how well this book was able to transport me into this new world and era. I felt as if I had just time travelled into this whole different place that was filled with snowy forests, cute cottages and dark magic.
  • THE MUSIC!!! I am not a very musical person. I listen to music but I cannot play any instruments, do not sing and am all round very dumb when it comes to my musical knowledge including musical history and to see the music in this book written with such detail was mind blowing. I loved the focus on music and what it represented for the different characters too!
  • Twisty, turny and unpredictable. It was impossible to know what would happen next in this book! I was constantly on the edge of my seat, constantly waiting for the ball to drop!
  • A D D I C T I V E ! I cannot even tell you how hard to put down this was. My iPad was literally GLUED to my hand the entire time I was reading this. I refused to get up off the spot on my bed, even to get food because I had to know what would happen next!
  • THE CHARACTERS. It would take me an entire page and then some more to put into words how much I adore the characters but I’ll try to keep it short. They were so loveable and unique and layered and three dimensional and realistic and flawed AND flawless and I CAN’T DEAL!!!! I adored Liesel and her selfless self and The Goblin King and his selfish self. I loved the way these two characters were such stark contrasts yet at the same time they were so perfect for each other. Also:
  • The romance <3 b=""> Nothing more needs to be said other than ALL THE FEELS!!!
  • LEFT ME WANTING MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE. The first thing I did when I finished was google whether there was to be a sequel or not. Thankfully, there is. *lets out deep breath* I need to know what happens with my favourite characters, I need to know where they end up
  • Left me wanting to re-read. You know that feeling when you finish reading a book and then you think, oh crap, but I want to read it again, I haven’t had enough of them….and then you look at the mountain of homework on your desk? Yep, me. But in all seriousness, I am probably going to end up buying a hardcopy of this, re-reading it, tabbing up all the pages and then probably writing another raving review.
Wintersong Book Review | sprinkledpages

WHAT I DISLIKED:
  • There were a few confusing occurrences in the book. At times, I wasn’t sure what had happened, why it had happened and basically I spent all my time asking anyone who would listen about their thoughts and opinions on what had actually happened. *cough* Brittany *cough*
  • Not what I expected. I went into this book expecting something and got something completely different. But not sure it’s something I dislike since I did really love the idea!

I basically have nothing else to write in the disliked section so I’m just going to end the review here saying IF YOU HAVE NOT YET READ THIS BOOK, PLEASE READ IT! It is written by an author of colour too, so please support her and other authors like her by reading this book and telling your friends about it!

(Disclaimer: neither the author nor the publisher have asked me to say this. I just really believe this book deserves to be read!)

OVERALL RATING:

½

Have you read Wintersong? What did you think? And if not, are you planning to?

You May Also Like

52 happy thoughts

  1. I've seen this everywhere and I was so scared to request it from NG because all the pretty cover books didn't deliver the awesomeness I expected but now I'm excited to grab it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG YOU MUST MUST MUST READ IT! I absolutely loved it! It's one of those books with the pretty cover and amazing inside!

      Delete
  2. I've been seeing this everywhere and I really want to read it. I'll have to tackle my ever growing tbr first. Great review!


    @tale.addict

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG I HOPE YOU ENJOY IT FRAN! It's really such an amazing, amazing book!

      Delete
  3. I absolutely love it when a book leaves me wanting to re-read. It's the best feeling ever.I have this on my list of books to read, but I'm waiting for the next to be out so I can binge-read. But everything about it sounds so great. I'm especially looking forward to the romance and the addictive story! :)
    Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG YES THAT'S ACTUALLY VERY SMART NICK BECAUSE YOU'LL NEED THE SEQUEL AFTER FINISHING THIS ONE! And aww thank you so so much <3

      Delete
  4. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about this so I really want to read it for myself! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much kirsty! I hope you enjoy it when you do get around to reading it!

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad you really enjoyed this book! Unfortunately, I didn't. I didn't like Liesl at all, and didn't feel like much happened at all. I loved The Goblin King, and would have much preferred the book to be told from his point of view. But it just wasn't for me as it was. Great review, though! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha sorry to hear you didn't love it that much but I can totally agree with you in saying the Goblin King's POV would have been so interesting! But thanks for reading anyway and leaving such a lovely and thoughtful comment!

      Delete
  6. Oh, this book is so super duper pretty! I have it sitting on my shelf and I find myself staring at that pretty cover quite often, to be honest! I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it, and such pretty pictures! While I haven't seen Labyrinth, but I have read the Star-Touched Queen and absolutely loved the beautiful writing in that book. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT IS SO PRETTY OMG! I hope you enjoy it when you do get around to reading it Kelly! And I'm probably going to find myself buying a hardcopy of this just so I can drool over the gorg cover too!

      Delete
  7. I can't wait to read this and hearing you rave about it makes me even more excited!! Plus it is GORGEOUS!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard great things about this book, so I'm SO excited to read this book!!!! Plus, your review has made me even more anxious to get my hands on it!

    And, the cover is absolutely gorgeous!!!!

    - Tyra @ Tyra's Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT IS SUCH A GORGEOUS COVER RIGHT!!!! THE COVER DESIGNER SHOULD HONESTLY GET AN AWARD <3

      Delete
  9. beautiful writing? oh wow i need to read this. I think i actually have it but the reviews have been up and down and my mood reading has been blah - i did not want that to ruin the book for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I LOVE A GOOD BOOK WITH SOME AMAZING WRITING AND THIS ONE IS A GOOD BOOK WITH AMAZING WRITING ;)

      Delete
  10. Great post! I love all the pictures. I do have this book on my TBR, but I don't actually have the book. It sounds great though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much for reading and commenting Sam! <3

      Delete
  11. EEP! I am so, so excited to read this book ohmygosh. I have loved the Labyrinth movie since I was a small child so when i found out that this book was going to be published I was VERY KEEN. And The Star-Touched Queen is one of my favourite books so the fact that you compared this to that book is HIGH PRAISE.

    I love all the things that you said you liked about this book! Although I didn't know this was going to be a series which makes my soul a little sad because of how many series are in my life right now *cries* But I'm trying to finish some of the completed ones so I don't feel so iffy about starting new ones, haha.

    I pre-ordered a Kindle copy of this book so I am safe to say I'll be reading it soon :D Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. AWW CHIARA HOW DID YOU KNOW I LOVED LONG AND THOUGHTFUL COMMENTS??? hahah just kidding but I feel like after the ending of this one, you'll need a sequel ;)

    ALSO OMG IM SO GLAD YOU'RE EXCITED FOR THIS! I LOVE BOOK-THUSIASM :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahh this is next up on my TBR so I am so glad you loved it so much! I've been anticipating this one for a while, so I'm really looking forward to get started :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lindsey! I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  14. I'm really looking forward to reading this one too Anisha, as soon as you mentioned lyrical, well I'm sold. It sounds brilliant and I love a well written romance that leaves you a puddle of swoon. That cover is gorgeous! I can't wait to grab a copy. Wonderful review Anisha, thanks for sharing <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NAWW THANKS FOR READING IT KELLY! I hope you enjoy this amaze read!

      Delete
  15. HOW GOOD WAS IT THOUGH. It was definitely not what I expected either. But I studied Christina Rossetti in year twelve and it was sooooo similar to the vibes of her poetry. And because I'm a massive English nerd, I loved it haha. Excellent review, and I love your pics <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT WAS SO SO SO SO GOOD OMG!!!! SO GLAD TO HEAR YOU ALSO ENJOYED IT EMILY AND OOH I HAVEN'T READ ANYTHING CHRSTINA ROSSETTI BUT SOUNDS GOOD! and awww thank you lovely <3

      Delete
  16. Ahhh you're making me so excited to read this one! I'm addicted to romantic fantasies with all the feels so I think I definitely need to pick this up real soon. Amazing review and fabulous pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG IT IS AMAZING I CANNOT EVEN DEAL!!! I HOPE YOU ENJOY IT HAZEL! <33

      Delete
  17. This makes me very happy because I've seen a lot of in between reviews and it has made me nervous to start because I've been so excited to read it and I don't want to be let. Definitely have to make time, soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is amazing Sara and I do hope when you get around to reading it you won't feel let down!

      Delete
  18. I’m in the middle of reading this right now and I completely agree with your thoughts so far. The writing and worldbuilding was absolutely stunning and I loved Liesel as a character. Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous review! ❤

    ~ Zoe @ Stories on Stage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOOOH I HOPE YOU ENJOY IT ZOE! watch out for that ending though ;)

      Delete
  19. I cant wait to read this one - I've heard so many great things about it. The romance aspect is meant to be exceptionally good :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much lovely! I hope you enjoy it when you do read it!

      Delete
  20. Yessss I totally agree with you! I adored this book as well, and I personally, thought I'd die before finding out that there will be a sequel XD haha. Fabulous review :D

    Brittany @ Brittany's Book Rambles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NAWWW BRIT YOU'RE MAKING ME BLUSH <3333 thank you so much for reading and reviewing!

      Delete
  21. I've heard so many amazing things about this!! I was already planning to check it out at some point but I think I need to make a bigger effort to get my hands on it :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GAH I HOPE YOU ENJOY IT BEC! IT IS REALLY SUPER AMAZE!

      Delete
  22. I'm really keen to read this one!! IT LOOKS SO BEAUTIFUL TOO SO THAT'S GOT ME HOOKED.😂 And I honestly looove books about music and can never find enough so *nudges this up higher on the need-to-get list* I'm so glad it was such a good read for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHAHAHA THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR COMMENTING CAIT I AM SUCH A FANGIRL WHEN IT COMES TO YOUR BLOG! also omg yay i hope you enjoy it when you do get around to it!

      Delete
  23. ooooh "reminds me of The Star Touched Queen" is all I need! So ready to read this :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I need to read this one! I don't know why I wasn't really interested when I read the blurb... but from all the reviews that I've read it sounds AMAZING, and I do love all the references to anything music-related. I liked TSTQ but thought the writing was a bit toooo lyrical, it kind of made no sense at times, but I hope this is better in that respect. Great review, Anisha. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AWW thanks so much Reg! And yes I do get what you mean because TSTQ had too fancy writing and not enough focus on explaining the plot as well as it could have

      Delete
  25. OMG I love the sound of this one and your raves definitely made me reserve it at the library! I love twisty books and the beautiful prose in here is definitely a must. I like the sound of the Goblin King in it as well. Lovely review Anisha!

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHAHHAHA when one of your fav bloggers said they want to read a book because of your review *faints*

      Delete

Leave me a comment below! And feel free to leave your website URL so I can come visit!